How the CII wants to engage with you to ensure everything we do empowers you as a professional
The CII’s mission is to support the professional development of our 125,000 members worldwide and help you enhance your career potential.
To deliver our mission – and to support you fully as a valued member of the CII – we have moved in recent years to become truly modern, relevant and diverse as an organisation.
We continually engage a broad range of our profession’s stakeholders: building public trust in the insurance and financial planning sectors; working strategically with organisations to raise professional standards; and helping those contemplating a career in our profession with their journey.
We know that the expectations of the clients you serve – and swift pace of technological developments – will continue to change in the months and years ahead. Just as with the pandemic, our profession will rise to the challenge. Going forward, we want to be by your side, helping you every step of the way.
As a key enabler of the 21st century economy, it is vital that our profession – together with the CII as your professional body – continue to evolve in step with the modern world.
Which is why we are inviting you to help shape the future of our profession: to have your say on how the CII should help equip you with the skills, knowledge, insight and networking opportunities to thrive.
Sian Fisher, CEO of the CII, says: “The service provided by our members is vital in helping businesses and individuals to protect the things they care about.”
“We want members to share with us the challenges and opportunities they face, so we can help them best serve their clients as a truly relevant and responsive partner.
“We will use your feedback to understand the services you want us to deliver and to shape our future strategic direction.”
The CII needs to ensure that our structure and offer are 100% aligned with your needs and those of the public you serve. After all, our Royal Charter requires us to work to “secure and justify the confidence of the public” in our profession.
Above all, we want to ensure that what we do – and how we do it – help you to help your clients achieve their goals.
Julie Page, CII president and CEO of Aon UK, says: “As a profession, the valuable work we do responding to customer need is something I am incredibly proud of – especially as we emerge from the unprecedented health crisis and economic interruption caused by the pandemic.
“Looking forward, it is time we all consciously engage in shaping the future of our profession and the future of the CII, and we look across the whole spectrum of insurance professionals to take part. I encourage all Chartered Insurance Institute members to engage with the consultation, to share their views and ambitions – helping to shape the member benefits, services, learning and qualifications delivered by the CII Group in the months and years ahead,” says Ms Page.
Above all, we want to ensure that what we do – and how we do it – help you to help your clients achieve their goals
Our Shaping the Future Together consultation is designed to refresh our 2016 manifesto strategy: engaging key stakeholders to evolve our future plans and creating a compelling strategy to guide our organisation for the next five years.
Specifically, Shaping the Future Together will engage members and key stakeholders in a joint endeavour to:
- put our learning framework and membership proposition at the core of our strategy, and future-proof our learning and membership offer for a changing world.
- evolve how we strengthen professionalism and public trust across the insurance and personal finance professions. →
- ensure our governance structure is robust and fit for purpose.
- ensure our membership societies, regional committees and local institutes are at the heart of what we do.
As part of this, Shaping the Future Together will work collaboratively with you to address known challenges:
- exploring how the CII can deliver what you want, in the way you want to receive it.
- exploring how our current governance structure works and developing a structure that work for all members.
- exploring ways to communicate with members and learners and develop a constructive dialogue.
Peter Blanc, Aston Lark CEO, CII deputy president and president elect for 2022, adds: “Each and every member of the CII should feel empowered to take this opportunity and have their say. The consultation is created to provide a framework for genuine and open debate on the issues that matter. Now is the time for everyone to share their views and be heard.
“As a profession we have a responsibility to do more; this consultation gives us the opportunity to do just that.”
Creating a genuine debate
- To foster a genuine, open debate around the issues that matter, Shaping the Future Together will:
- give every CII member the opportunity to share their views.
- engage with businesses,regulators, policymakers and trade bodies via dedicated forums.
- engage the wider public and consumers via dedicated forums.
- partner with an independent data specialist, to ensure all steps above are run in a truly objective, best-practice manner.
- appoint a group representing all CII members – including Local, Regional, PFS and International members – to review and analyse the feedback received in response to our consultation.
Kevin Hancock, managing director of Yutree and chair of the Society of Insurance Broking, says: “Ours is a diverse sector, and a demanding yet rewarding profession. For this consultation, the CII looks to every one of us to take part – whether online or by attending one of many live events – and ultimately help shape our future together.”
Designed around you
We want Shaping the Future Together to give you every opportunity to let us know about your experience of being a member.
To do this, Shaping the Future Together will empower you to share your voice in the way that works for you.
You can use our online consultation to share your detailed feedback, thoughts and ‘blue skies’ proposals.
You can join one of many live events over the coming months to discuss key issues together with other members and representatives of the CII, our Societies, Local Institutes, regional committees and affiliated international institutes.
We will compile feedback from the online consultation – and live sessions – for analysis.
What should you do now?
Today, please visit our landing page for Shaping the Future Together www.cii.co.uk/consultation where you can find out more about this vital initiative.
Thank you, in advance, for adding your voice to Shaping the Future Together, and for helping us strengthen trust in our profession.