Our core principles and benefits are designed to help you thrive in your career
Are you making the most of your membership? Our community of more than 129,000 membersis active in all corners of the insurance profession. Being recognised by employers, regulators, consumers and government as the leading professional body for the insurance profession allows us to create a framework that underpins your membership.
At the heart of this framework sit our core beliefs:
- Standards: We play a pivotal role within the profession, setting standards for competence and influencing our future direction.
- Professionalism: We are dedicated to promoting high standards of professionalism -- at the centre is a commitment to uphold certain standards of behaviour.
- Trust: Public trust is at the heart of all that we do -- our Royal Charter ensures we never lose sight of our mission.
Whenever you use your designatory letters (on your CV, email signature or LinkedIn profile, for example) you are displaying your professional credentials, demonstrating your public commitment to these beliefs and to our code of ethics.
By working towards Fellow or Chartered status, you are displaying symbols of the highest technical competence, signifying a public commitment to professional standards and helping to inspire consumer trust in our wider profession.
YOUR PROFESSIONAL COMMUNITY
Our societies -- for those working in broking, claims and underwriting -- offer an enhanced member experience by focusing on the topics and issues that matter most in your area of insurance. Each society provides tools and resources designed to deliver insight, shape good practice and support professional development, all delivered via society websites, newsletters, events, webinars, podcasts and our social media channels.
Integral to membership is the network of 56 local institutes across the UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man. Your local institute provides a dedicated professional community as well as providing first-class technical and regulatory CPD events, soft skills training and social activities.
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Participating in your society and local institute is a great way to obtain CPD. Our digital learning content hubs also provide extensive programmes of ongoing learning and development, helping to keep your knowledge up to date and relevant.
Connect is our member-only digital mentoring platform, enabling you to share your collective knowledge and experience with other members. It facilitates personal and professional growth for insurance professionals at any stage of their careers by matching them within our membership pool.
Another way to 'give back' is by participating in one of our pro bono volunteering opportunities, which help build public trust in the profession. These see our members delivering financial education workshops to schools and colleges across the UK.
We offer members access to a legal helpline service, which provides advice on a range of business and personal legal issues (excluding employment law advice). Subjects covered include partnership law, contract law and various commercial and private issues.
PERKS -- MEMBER AFFINITY SCHEME
The collective bargaining power of membership has been harnessed to bring all UK and international members access to 'Perks', our affinity benefits scheme. Perks provides members with a range of money-saving deals and discounts with major online retailers and high street brands, across lifestyle, travel, business and advice.
Find out more about all aspects of membership on our website at: cii.co.uk/membership
We have reacted quickly to minimise the impact of coronavirus on members, including:
- Exams: Significantly accelerating work to deliver on-screen assessments and remote invigilation for members sitting exams from July onwards.
- Discounts for learners: Learners who are furloughed, or whose income has materially reduced, and whose learning and assessment costs are not funded or subsidised by their employer, are eligible for a 20% discount on a one-off digital purchase of selected study resources.
- CPD: Rapidly expanding provision of online and digital content to help members meet the CII's CPD requirement of 35 hours of CPD per year.
- Digital content: Developing digital solutions for our Professional Focus and face-to-face CPD events.
- Perks: Our affinity benefits scheme has prioritised access to money-saving deals and discounts tailored to those working from home, including supermarket discounts, digital fitness and wellbeing.
- Member support scheme: If your membership is due for renewal and you are temporarily out of work through redundancy, unemployment or other circumstances that may cause financial hardship, you may be eligible for a temporary 50% reduction in your subscription fee.
WHAT DO YOU VALUE MOST?
I'll let you know on Monday regarding the delivery date of the captioned videos. Which part of membership do you feel provides the greatest value? Share your thoughts using #CIIValue on LinkedIn (tag @chartered-insurance-institute) or Twitter (tag @CIIGroup).
Simon Webster is membership marketing manager of the CII